This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Using against 2007 production - quiesce first? - solved

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM

This is an awesome tool, thanks so much for providing it!  I am working on migrating to 2010 and I will feel a lot better with all this garbage out. 

I have used the 2010 version after the detach/attach upgrade, and it worked great.  But I would really like to clean up 07 before the upgrade.  Given what it's doing, should I quiesce the 07 production farm before running this and deleting orphaned features?  Thanks.

Chuck

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Hello Chuck, 

it is always a good idea to quiesce a productive farm, before technical changes are done.
Nevertheless, orphaned features usually do not really have a connection to an existing feature any more.
Because the feature is gone, usually also e.g. the feature receiver is not available any more.
Therefore, normally, the db is really only cleaned up in case of orphaned features, so I would not expect any changes to happen, that could affect active users.

On the other side, you can never be sure, what happens, if you make changes to a farm, so you should always have a backup (at least of the content DBs). And if the worst case happens, and the backup needs to be restored, it is up to you, if you allow users to make changes between the last backup and your changes and if you do so, if it is ok, that their changes are gone after the restore.

So I guess my answer is, if you do not want that users lose data in case of a restore, you should quiesce the farm before the backup.

Hope that helps, 

Achim

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Thanks so much, that does help.  And thanks again for providing the tool.

All the best,

Chuck